Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Week of January 22nd

Q: What did Donald Duck say in his graduate physics class?
A: Quark, quark, quark!

Happy Lame Physics Jokes Day! Today, I was only at my internship for about an hour because of MLK Service Day and because my mentor had to leave a little bit early. I was also recovering from a cold, so I wasn't completely mentally functional. I still got some work done though!

To do our calculations for the hybrid meson, we have to come up with a list of assumed efficiencies for the particles involved in the decay. I started working on our list of assumptions today. The Particle Data Review was, as always, a really helpful source, but it was sometimes difficult to decipher all of the different numbers. I also used the paper Dr. Bellis gave me last week to come up with efficiencies for the D(2420) and D(2460) mesons. Next week, I'll be using these assumptions to actually finish the calculations, which I'm excited about!

Something cool that happened this week was that my particle physics booklet from the Particle Data Group came in the mail. This tiny booklet contains almost everything you need to know about the universe. It has the decays, branching ratios, masses, and pretty much any information you could ever want about a particle. Dr. Bellis has the full-sized version of this booklet in his office, but I ordered this free booklet so I can look up information when I'm working from school. Here's a picture of what the booklet looks like:

No comments:

Post a Comment