Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Phylogenetic Trees

This week, I started learning phylogenetic analysis, which biologists use to understand evolutionary and molecular relationships. Dr. Miller gave me a book called "Phylogenetic Trees Made Easy," and I completed the first tutorial in it, which outlined the steps for creating a simple phylogenetic tree.



To make the tree, I first had to download a program called MEGA 5, which analyzes and aligns sequences from related organisms. Specifically, I looked at a sequence from the bacterium Thermotoga petrophila. I used a "search engine" called BLAST to help me find sequences that produced similar alignments to the original sequence. I chose the 6 most closely related sequences, and then used the program to produce a DNA alignment:


The final step, which was to construct a phylogenetic tree based on the alignment, was actually pretty simple. All I did was click on a button labelled "Neighbor Joining Tree," and the program created a phylogenetic tree for me! Getting the alignments was the hard part, because it's so easy to make simple mistakes, which can mess up the whole alignment. It took Dr. Miller and me several tries to get it right. 
Phylogenetic tree!


1 comment:

  1. Maryam, it appears that you are really getting into your project. I am impressed that you are making trees already and that you find it straight-forward. This should bodes well for the future.

    Could you please clarify the date of this post. I am confused by the October date. It should be November, correct?

    Please add your pictures in a different way, as these, while they are very cool, are hard to review. Consider looking at your blog after you post to see if everything is in order.

    ReplyDelete