Friday, March 6, 2015

Phylogenetic Trees


Here are two of the trees I made from the data Dr. Miller gave me. The trees were both constructed on the program Mesquite. One tree was made with the PaupRAT algorithm, and the other was made with the RaxML algorithm. 

PaupRAT tree

RaxML tree

As you can see, the two trees vary pretty significantly. Different algorithms interpret the same data in different ways, which is why it is necessary to construct and compare multiple trees from the same data. At this point, we haven't done much analysis, and in the coming weeks, I'm going to construct and look at some more trees before Dr. Miller and I make any conclusions.

4 comments:

  1. Impressive graphical representation of your data. This is really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited to see trees! I would love to know more about the species involved, and how the trees specifically vary.

    ReplyDelete