Monday, May 18, 2015

Reflections

I experienced a lot of challenges in my STEM internship this year. My mentor and I had pretty different schedules, and in the first semester, we only met in person every other week. That slowed down our progress a little bit, but by the second semester, we'd figured out a good plan for meeting, which made the research a lot easier. We also ran into some challenges with the research itself. Even though we were relatively sure that the model was a good fit for the data, we still couldn't get conclusive results. It took a lot of trial and error, and experimenting with parameters. However, on the very last day of my internship, we finally got a good distribution!!

Dr. Miller was a wonderful teacher, and even though the concepts were hard, I learned a lot about evolutionary biology and the process of research itself. My proudest moment was when we finally got a distribution that had convergence around the mean, even though I'd accepted by that point that we might not get the results we were looking for. Overall, I had a wonderful experience, and I know that I'll go into college prepared to do high-level scientific research.

For next year's Signature participants, especially for the STEM interns, I would advise them to be prepared for lots of trial and error in the research. We often didn't know what was causing our problems, so it just took a lot of experimentation and a little bit of luck to get the results we were looking for.

I'd like to thank Dr. Miller for a wonderful experience this year. Good luck to next year's Signature participants!

1 comment:

  1. I have really enjoyed reading (and learning!) through this blog, Maryam. Good work, despite your scheduling conflicts. This sounds like it was an invaluable experience the you will build upon in college.

    ReplyDelete